Last Updated: June 2, 2022
Welcome to the DCHOPE support page. This page will serve as the base of support for connecting and using the DCHOPE network.
This network is provided at no cost by the DC Government. Below you will find frequently asked questions that will provide insight into how the network works and what it does and does not support.
- What is the name (SSID) of the network? At Potomac Gardens it is Connected Potomac Gardens. At Hopkins Apartments, it is Connected Hopkins. At COHA and Park Rd it is DCHOPE
- What is the password? There is no password required. You simply need to accept the terms of service agreement
- Can I hook up my desktop? You can only hook up your desktop if it has a wireless adaptor
- Can I use the service for streaming videos on my computer? Yes, you can
- Can I use it for virtual learning like Zoom, Canvas, or Teams? Yes, you can
- How fast is the connection? You should be able to download over 75mbps and upload up to 25mbps. Your speed may vary based on your device’s capabilities and location. You can test your speed here.
- Where is this network available? Community of Hope Apartments, 1448 Park RD NW, Hopkins, and Potomac Gardens.
- If you need to speak to someone by phone? please call 202.888.6515.
- What are the terms of using the service?
These Terms of Service (“Terms”) are intended to cover the Government of the District of Columbia’s (“District of Columbia”) provision of free Wi-Fi service to the public (“Wi-Fi Service”). Access to the Wi-Fi Service is conditioned on acceptance of these Terms. By accessing or using the Wi-Fi Service, as the End User, you agree to be bound by these Terms. If you do not agree to be bound by these Terms, then you will not have access to the Wi-Fi Service.
On behalf of the District of Columbia, the Office of the Chief Technology Officer (“OCTO”) reserves the right to modify these Terms at any time without notice in its sole discretion. It is your responsibility to review the Terms for any revisions. Continued use of the Wi-Fi Service, following updates or changes to these Terms, constitutes acceptance of those changes. If you do not agree to the revisions, use of the Wi-Fi Service will be terminated immediately.
Use of the Wi-Fi Service is subject to the general restrictions outlined below. If abnormal, illegal, or unauthorized behavior is detected, including, but not limited to, heavy consumption of bandwidth, OCTO reserves the right to permanently block the offending device from the Wi-Fi Service in its sole discretion.
This is an open wireless network. No network communication is 100% secure. Please remember: No network communication should be considered private or protected. All communication over the network is subject to monitoring by OCTO to ensure the security of the network.
Access to the Service
Access to the Wi-Fi Service is provided at the sole discretion of the District of Columbia. Any access to the Wi-Fi Service may be blocked, suspended, or terminated at any time for any reason including, but not limited to, violation of these Terms; actions that may result in the risk of liability for the District of Columbia; disruption of access to other users or networks; and violation of applicable District or federal laws or regulations.
Your access to the Wi-Fi Service is conditioned on legal and appropriate use of the Wi-Fi Service. Your use of the Wi-Fi Service and any activities conducted online through the Wi-Fi Service shall not violate any applicable District or federal law or regulation, the rights of the District of Columbia, or the rights of any third party.
The use of the Wi-Fi Service for the following activities is prohibited:
- Spamming and Invasion of Privacy – Sending of unsolicited bulk and/or commercial messages over the Internet using the Wi-Fi Service or using the Wi-Fi Service for activities that invade another’s’ privacy.
- Intellectual Property Right Violations – Engaging in any activity that infringes or misappropriates the intellectual property rights of others, including patents, copyrights, trademarks, service marks, trade secrets, or any other proprietary right of any third party.
- Obscene or Indecent Speech or Materials – Using the Wi-Fi Service to advertise, solicit, transmit, store, post, display, or otherwise make available obscene or indecent images or other materials. The District of Columbia will notify and fully cooperate with law enforcement if it becomes aware of any use of the Wi-Fi Service in any connection with child pornography or the solicitation of sex with minors.
- Defamatory or Abusive Language – Using the Wi-Fi Service to transmit, post, upload, or otherwise making available defamatory, harassing, abusive, or threatening material or language that encourages bodily harm, destruction of property, or harasses another.
- Forging of Headers – Forging or misrepresenting message headers, whether in whole or in part, to mask the originator of the message.
- Hacking – Accessing illegally or without authorization computers, accounts, equipment or networks belonging to another party, or attempting to penetrate security measures of another system. This includes any activity that may be used as a precursor to an attempted system penetration, including, but not limited to, port scans, stealth scans, or other information gathering activity.
- Distribution of Internet Viruses, Trojan Horses, or Other Destructive Activities – Distributing information regarding the creation of and sending Internet viruses, worms, Trojan Horses, pinging, flooding, mailbombing, or denial of service attacks. Also, activities that disrupt the use of or interfere with the ability of others to effectively use the node or any connected network, system, service, or equipment.
- Facilitating a Violation of these Terms of Service – Advertising, transmitting, or otherwise making available any software product, product, or service that is designed to violate these Terms, which includes the facilitation of the means to spam, initiation of pinging, flooding, mailbombing, denial of service attacks, and piracy of software.
- Export Control Violations – The transfer of technology, software, or other materials in violation of applicable export laws and regulations, including but not limited to the U.S. Export Administration Regulations and Executive Orders.
- Other Illegal Activities – Using the Wi-Fi Service in violation of applicable law and regulation, including, but not limited to, advertising, transmitting, or otherwise making available ponzi schemes, pyramid schemes, fraudulently charging credit cards, pirating software, or making fraudulent offers to sell or buy products, items, or services.
- Resale – The sale, transfer, or rental of the Wi-Fi Service to customers, clients or other third parties, either directly or as part of a service or product created for resale.
You acknowledge (i) that the Wi-Fi Service may not be uninterrupted or error-free; (ii) that viruses or other harmful applications may be available through the Wi-Fi Service; (iii) that the District of Columbia does not guarantee the security of the Wi-Fi Service and that unauthorized third parties may access your computer or files or otherwise monitor your connection; (iv) that the District of Columbia’s ability to provide the Wi-Fi Service without charge is based on the limited warranty, disclaimer and limitation of liability specified herein and that it would require a substantial charge if any of these provisions were unenforceable. THE WI-FI SERVICE AND ANY PRODUCTS OR SERVICES PROVIDED ON OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SERVICE ARE PROVIDED ON AN “AS IS”, “AS AVAILABLE” BASIS WITHOUT WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND. ALL WARRANTIES, CONDITIONS, REPRESENTATIONS, INDEMNITIES AND GUARANTEES WITH RESPECT TO THE CONTENT OR SERVICE AND THE OPERATION, CAPACITY, SPEED, FUNCTIONALITY, QUALIFICATIONS, OR CAPABILITIES OF THE SERVICES, GOODS OR PERSONNEL RESOURCES PROVIDED HEREUNDER, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, ARISING BY LAW, CUSTOM, PRIOR ORAL OR WRITTEN STATEMENTS BY THE DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA, OR OTHERWISE (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO ANY WARRANTY OF SATISFACTORY QUALITY, MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR PARTICULAR PURPOSE, TITLE AND NON-INFRINGEMENT) ARE HEREBY OVERRIDDEN, EXCLUDED AND DISCLAIMED.
No Consequential Damages
UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES WILL THE DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA BE LIABLE FOR CONSEQUENTIAL, INDIRECT, SPECIAL, PUNITIVE OR INCIDENTAL DAMAGES OR LOST PROFITS, WHETHER FORESEEABLE OR UNFORESEEABLE, BASED ON CLAIMS OF THE END USER, ITS APPOINTEES OR ITS OR THEIR CUSTOMERS (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, UNAUTHORIZED ACCESS, DAMAGE, OR THEFT OF YOUR SYSTEM OR DATA, CLAIMS FOR LOSS OF GOODWILL, CLAIMS FOR LOSS OF DATA, USE OF OR RELIANCE ON THE SERVICE, STOPPAGE OF OTHER WORK OR IMPAIRMENT OF OTHER ASSETS, OR DAMAGE CAUSED TO EQUIPMENT OR PROGRAMS FROM ANY VIRUS OR OTHER HARMFUL APPLICATION), ARISING OUT OF BREACH OR FAILURE OF EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTY, BREACH OF CONTRACT, MISREPRESENTATION, NEGLIGENCE, STRICT LIABILITY IN TORT OR OTHERWISE.
You agree to indemnify and hold harmless the District of Columbia and its suppliers and licensors, officers, directors, employees, agents and affiliates from any claim, liability, loss, damage, cost, or expense (including without limitation reasonable attorney’s fees) arising out of or related to your use of the Wi-Fi Service, any materials downloaded or uploaded through the Wi-Fi Service, any actions taken by you in connection with your use of the Wi-Fi Service, any violation of any third party’s rights or an violation of law or regulation, or any breach of these Terms. This Section will not be construed to limit or exclude any other claims or remedies that the District of Columbia may assert under these Terms or by law.
These Terms shall not be construed as creating a partnership, joint venture, agency relationship or granting a franchise between you and the District of Columbia. These Terms will be governed by and interpreted in accordance with DC law, excluding its conflict of law principles. Except as otherwise provided above, any waiver, amendment or other modification of these Terms will not be effective unless in writing by the District of Columbia. If any provision of these Terms are held to be unenforceable, in whole or in part, such holding will not affect the validity of the other provisions of these Terms. The District of Columbia’s performance of these Terms is subject to existing laws and legal process, and nothing contained in these Terms shall waive or impede the District of Columbia’s right to comply with law enforcement requests or requirements relating to your use of this Wi-Fi Service or information provided to or gathered by the District of Columbia with respect to such use. These Terms constitute the complete and entire statement of all terms, conditions and representations between you and DC Government with respect to the Wi-Fi Service and supersedes all prior writings or understanding.
If you violate these Terms, your rights to access and use the Wi-Fi Service will be terminated and you may be subject additional consequences, including criminal prosecution, civil litigation, reporting to appropriate law enforcement authorities, reporting to regulatory or licensure authorities, or other remedies as appropriate. The District of Columbia may terminate access to the Wi-Fi Service, or any portion thereof, or discontinue providing the Wi-Fi Service, or any portion thereof without any prior notice. These actions are in addition to and not in lieu or limitation of any other right or remedy the District of Columbia may have available at law. Further, the District of Columbia shall not be liable to you or any third party for any such termination or discontinuance.